October 6, 2003

To the Wake Forest Community:

Last week, after experiencing mild symptoms that were initially thought to be related to low blood pressure, I underwent a number of tests at the School of Medicine. On Thursday, I learned that I have a brain tumor and on Friday, I had a biopsy that provided more information and confirmed its type. Beginning the week of October 13, I will begin a regimen of radiation, the course recommended by my doctors. They have told me that this kind of tumor typically responds very well to treatment.

While no one wants to receive such news, I am optimistic about the outlook. I feel fine. The doctors anticipate no significant dysfunction, although they have told me that the initial treatment causes fatigue. I am, therefore, canceling my travel schedule during this time and may curtail some non-essential activities. After this series of treatments, I expect to return to a full schedule, with some accommodation for follow-up treatments if needed.

However, I intend for the work of the University to be uninterrupted. I know that the provost, vice presidents, and deans will direct their efforts to this end. Wake Forest people, as you have often heard me say, are our greatest asset, and I have all confidence in the men and women who serve our mission.

I know you will understand and appreciate that Laura and I will not be in a position to respond to telephone calls, but I plan to answer correspondence as time allows. My family and I ask for your prayers as we go through this experience. I will keep you informed about my progress and welcome your message in an onlineĀ guestbook.

Thomas K. Hearn, Jr.
President

Categories: Uncategorized