March 1, 2006

To the Wake Forest Community:

Last Tuesday’s Founders’ Day convocation was a wonderful occasion for my family and me. I am honored to join the list of distinguished Wake Foresters who have been awarded the Medallion of Merit. I will cherish it as a reminder of those who contributed so much to the life of the University during the years I served as its president. Laura and I are also pleased with the portrait commissioned by the Board of Trustees.

Your commitment to making Wake Forest ever stronger was and is a singular asset. Thank you for your devotion to the important work we have done together. I know that Nathan and Julie Hatch, whose first year here has already been distinguished by success and enthusiasm, are glad to have such able colleagues.

Since my retirement, I have not sent messages about my health, but this seems to be a good time to do so. I am recovering well from the surgery that I had in the fall, gaining strength daily, and beginning to return to normal activities, including spending some time each day at my office. Your calls, notes, and visits are inspiring, and I look forward to seeing you on campus.

Sincerely yours,

Thomas K. Hearn, Jr.
President Emeritus

Categories: Uncategorized